- We are open Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 7:20 am – 3:30 pm. We are open on Wednesday and Friday from 7:20 am – 2:24 pm.
- Students may use the library media center during the school day with a pass from their teacher.
- Students may use the library media center during lunch by stopping by the library media center when lunch begins to receive a pass, going to eat lunch in the cafeteria, and then returning to the library media center with the pass. Library passes should only be used to exit the cafeteria and go to the library. Students are not allowed to eat in the library.
- The library is to be used only for reading or homework when students visit without their class. This includes the morning, lunch, and ASP 1 times.
- Cell phones and other electronic devices may be used for academic purposes only in the library.
- Students may check out up to ten books at a time.
- Books may be checked out for three weeks.
- Books may be renewed at the end of the three week period.
- Holds may be placed for books that are currently checked out. Students may place holds on Swanson books by logging into ACORN. Holds for books at other Arlington school locations can be made at the circulation desk.
- If we do not own a book, we may request for the book to be borrowed from another Arlington Public School. This procedure is called Interlibrary Loan or I.L.L. Requesting a book from another school does not mean the request will be granted. If a student requests a book that is located only at the high school level, we will ask for parent permission before requesting the book through I.L.L.
- We do not charge fines for overdue books.
- Students are responsible for any lost library materials.
- You need your student id to check out books.
- ACORN is the online catalog used to search books.
- Call numbers may include:
BKCD – Book on cd
EB – Electronic book
F – Fiction
GN – Graphic Novel
QP – Quick Pick
R – Reference (overnight checkout)
SPA – Book in Spanish language
TAB – Teen Advisory Board
- Books with call numbers including P, DVD, KIT, and AV are for staff checkout only.
- Magazines are for checkout in the media center for a one week loan period.
Computers & Printers
| The library media center has:
- three computers available for research,
- five ACORN stations,
- one black and white printer
- one color printer.