Are you interested in gaining or expanding your knowledge about Arabic or Chinese? The Summer School Office may have a program for you! FREE Arabic and Chinese Summer Programs at Beginning and Developing levels. Open to current 6-8 grade students. For more information, please visit StarTalk.
Swanson Information Sessions:
Swanson counselors are offering summer tours of the school for rising 6th grade students and their families. Please check back at the end of the school year to find dates and times for information sessions.
Virginia law requires students aged 14 and 15 to obtain a work permit prior to beginning a job. Parents can now electronically access, complete, and download the required forms.
The application requires submission of two documents: a Permission for Employment form and an Employer Intent to Employ form. These need to be submitted to the Virginia Labor and Employment Law Division.
- The Permission for Employment form must be completed by the youth’s parent, guardian or custodian and signed before a Notary Public. A notary is required by law to affix a seal or stamp on every document he or she notarizes. The stamp or seal needs to be sharp, legible, permanent and photographically reproducible. Many banks provide notary public services.
- The Intent to Employ form must be completed by the employer. The youth must furnish a copy of an acceptable evidence of age document. The employer must retain and certify to the Labor and Employment Law Division the legal age for employment.
January 2014 The Swanson Anchor 7 The Code of Virginia §40.1-94 establishes the following as legal evidence of age documents:
- A birth certificate
- An attested transcript issued by a registrar of vital statistics or other officer charged with the duty of recording births
- A baptismal record or duly certified transcript thereof showing the date of birth and place of baptism of the child
- Other documentary proof of age specified by the Commissioner, which includes any government-issued identification card such as a passport, DMV identification card or military identification card.
Only complete forms can be accepted for processing. Faxed documents cannot be accepted. Original forms must be submitted by U.S. mail.
After completion by the appropriate parties, mail the forms to:
Department of Labor & Industry
Child Labor Unit 1570
E. Parham Rd.Richmond, VA 23228-2360
No child may begin employment until the employment certificate is issued. Upon approval, it will be mailed directly to the employer. Please allow seven to ten business days processing time. Incomplete forms will cause a delay, so double check them before you put them in the mail.
For more information and to access the documents needed for a work permit, please go to the Virginia Dept. of Labor Employment Certificate Application System