Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology
Thomas Jefferson School for Science and Technology is a Governor’s regional school offering a comprehensive college preparatory program emphasizing the sciences, mathematics, and technology. Arlington County students enrolled in grade eight may apply, and if selected, would attend TJHSST tuition free. Students must be taking Algebra I or higher math in 8th grade to apply. Selection is highly competitive based on the results of an aptitude test, teacher recommendations, grades and other information. Please reference the following presentation, which was shared with students at the TJHSST information session, for in-depth information on the school and the admissions process, including deadlines and test dates.
Please check out their website for application materials, testing tips, and more! Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology Admissions
- Apply in 8th grade for 9th grade enrollment
- Algebra I or higher in 8th Grade
- 3.0 GPA in core classes (and language) for 7th grade.
Important Dates for 2019 – 2020 Winter Application Round
For students in 8th grade during 2019-20 school year
- September 2, 2019 – Online applications available.
- Find application directions here.
- September 11th, 2019 – Representatives from TJHSST visit Swanson 8th grade students to discuss application process.
- 5th period (12:08pm) in the Auditorium – you need to sign up to get a pass!
- Click here or come to the Counseling Office to sign up!
- September 27, 2019 – APPLICATION DEADLINE at 4:00 p.m.
- November 9, 2019 – Test Day
- November 15, 2019 – Accommodations Test Day
- November 16, 2019 – Inclement Weather Make Up Test Day
- January 17, 2020 – Applicants receive semifinalist pool notification through online system
- January 24, 2020 – Entry by Applicants of Teacher Recommendation Information Deadline
- February 8, 2020 – Essay/SIS Administration Day
- February 10, 2020 – Deadline for Teacher Recommendations
- February 14, 2020 – Essay/SIS Accommodations Test Day
- February 15, 2020 – Inclement Weather date for Essay/SIS Administration (Feb. 8 session)
- February 21, 2020 – Inclement Weather date for Essay/SIS Accommodations Test Day (Feb. 14 session)
- April 30, 2020 – Final admissions decisions posted