APS High School Academic Planning & Information Nights 2017-2018
APS General High School Information Night
High School Information Night will be held on Oct. 30, 2017, at 7 p.m., at Washington-Lee High School (1301 N. Stafford Street, 22201): Families will be provided information on transitioning from middle to high school, learn more about their neighborhood and option-schools for the 2018-19 school year, and attend individual sessions with high school principals and their staffs.
School-Based High School Information Sessions
All Arlington high schools schedule their own school information sessions to provide parents an opportunity to visit the schools, meet the principals, tour the buildings, and get a general sense of the personalities of each of the schools.
*Due to the delayed opening on Jan. 9, the morning information sessions for Wakefield and Washington-Lee have been rescheduled. Please check below for the rescheduled dates.
|Daytime Sessions||Evening Sessions|
|Wakefield 703-228-6700||Jan. 16 @ 10 a.m.||Dec. 11 @ 7 p.m.Immersion & AP Network|
|Washington-Lee 703-228-6200||Jan. 11 @ 8:30 a.m.||Dec. 5 @ 7 p.m.|
|Yorktown 703-228-5400||Jan. 9 @ 11 a.m.||Nov. 29 @ 7 p.m.|
|H-B Woodlawn 703-228-6363||Jan. 9 @ 3 p.m.||Dec. 11 @ 7 p.m.|
|Arlington Tech 703-228-5800||Jan. 9 @ 2 p.m.||Nov. 14 and Dec. 11 @ 7 p.m.|
School-Based Academic Planning Nights
These sessions will provide an opportunity for rising 9th graders and their families to learn more about high school core and elective class offerings.
January 10, 2018, 7:00pm
NEW SESSION ADDED – January 30, 2018, 7:00pm
Informational Flyer: Yorktown – Rising 9th Grade Academic Planning Night
February 6, 2018, 7:00pm
Informational Flyer: W-L – Rising 9th Grade Academic Planning Night
January 25, 2018, 7:00pm
January 27, 2018, 9:00am (for current students, rising 9th grade families welcome)
|Arlington Tech||February 8, 2018, 6:30pm|
Contact: Gladis Bourdouane, Communications Coordinator, at 703-228-7667.
High School Transfer Information
Applying for a Neighborhood Transfer to a Different APS High School
- Neighborhood transfer applications are due January 19th, 2018
- For the 2018-19 school year, neighborhood transfers to Wakefield and Yorktown will be accepted.
- Parents/guardians are responsible for transportation when the student accepts a transfer to another neighborhood school that is accepting transfers.
- More information may be found here.
Applying to Countywide Option-Schools and Programs
- Options School Applications are due January 19, 2018
- APS provides educational options in which students may enroll, recognizing that individual students may thrive in varied educational settings. Option schools require an application process and admission is based on a lottery process. These schools and programs include: the AP Network at Wakefield, Arlington Tech, H-B Woodlawn, and the International Baccalaureate program at W-L. Learn more about the programs and how to apply: https://www.apsva.us/school-options/high-school-choices/high-school-countywide/
- Please note that many of these high school opportunities require copies of your child’s transcript. Students can request transcripts by filling out the form found at this link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd23FZXmQFLrih8aKbY5vdo1mOmJerLsN4YlIu-Kxqn0BqaPQ/viewform Please allow at least 2 days for transcripts to be processed.
- Some applications may also require teacher recommendations. Please allow staff at least 2 weeks to complete recommendations.
Arlington Tech is an APS High School focused on hands-on, project-based, and work-based learning experiences. Find more information on their website: https://careercenter.apsva.us/arlington-tech.
Interested students must apply in 8th grade. Important Dates:
- Student assembly @ Swanson – October 5th. All 8th grade students will attend.
- Tour of Arlington Tech for 8th Graders – October 12th & 13th, 9:30-11:30am
- Arlington Tech Information Night for Prospective Parents *Parents of current students and Arlington Tech staff will share their experience of Arlington Tech and be available to answer any questions. This event will be in the commons at the Arlington Career Center.
- November 14th, 7:00-8:30pm
- December 11th, 7:00-8:30pm
- January 9th, 2:00-3:00pm
- Arlington Tech Lunch and Learn Session
- December 6th or December 13th in Ms. Seliskar’s room (Room 139) during 8th grade lunch.
- Arlington Tech staff will be there to help you with your application and answer questions about the school and pizza will be provided by Arlington Tech.
- You must sign up with your Counselor before the session.
- Arlington Career Center Open House
- January 6th, 2018, 10:00am – *Take the opportunity to visit the classrooms and talk with the instructors in Arlington Tech and explore our CTE course offerings.
- Applications Open – November 6th, 2017
- Applications Close – January 19th, 2018 at 4pm
International Baccalaureate (IB) Program at Washington-Lee
Find more information:
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST)
Find more information: