APS High School Academic Planning & Information Nights 2019-2020
APS General High School Information Night
Monday, Nov. 4, 2019 from 7 – 9 p.m. at Washington-Liberty High School, 1301 N. Stafford St.
Parents and families of students entering high school in the fall of 2020 will hear an overview about APS high schools, the registration process, school options and transfers, application deadlines and procedures, school information sessions, available resources, and more. For additional information about this event, please visit: https://www.apsva.us/school-options/high-school-choices/.
School-Based High School Information Sessions
All Arlington high schools schedule their own school information sessions to provide parents an opportunity to visit the schools, meet the principals, tour the buildings, and get a general sense of the personalities of each of the schools.
|Wakefield 703-228-6700||Dec. 5th @ 7|
|Washington-Lee 703-228-6200||Dec. 4th @ 7|
|Yorktown 703-228-5400||Dec. 3rd @ 7|
|H-B Woodlawn 703-228-6363||Dec. 11th @ 7|
|Arlington Tech 703-228-5800||Dec. 10th @ 7|
School-Based Academic Planning Nights
These sessions will provide an opportunity for rising 9th graders and their families to learn more about high school core and elective class offerings.
|Yorktown||Jan. 22nd @ 7-9PM|
|Washington-Lee||Feb. 4th @ 7-9PM|
|Wakefield||Sat. Feb. 1st @ 9AM-12PM|
Contact: Gladis Bourdouane, Communications Coordinator, at 703-228-7667.
High School Transfer Information
Transfer Application Timeline:
- Oct 28, 2019 – Middle School Information Night
- Nov. 4, 2019 – High School Information Night
- Nov. 4, 2019 @ 10:00 PM – Application Window Opens
- Jan. 17th, 2020 @ 4:00 PM – Application Window Closes
- Jan. 29th, 2020 12:00-4:00 PM – Lotteries @ Welcome Center
- Feb. 6, 2020 after 4:00 PM – Lottery notification to families through School Mint Portal
- Feb. 17, 2020 by midnight – Deadline for decisions
- May 1, 2020 – Cutoff for neighborhood transfers
Applying for a Neighborhood Transfer to a Different APS High School?
- Parents/guardians are responsible for transportation when the student accepts a transfer to another neighborhood school that is accepting transfers.
- Families wishing to apply for a neighborhood transfer need to submit a Neighborhood Transfer Form.
- More information may be found here.
Applying to Countywide Option-Schools and Programs
- APS provides educational options in which students may enroll, recognizing that individual students may thrive in varied educational settings. Option schools require an application process and admission is based on a lottery process. These schools and programs include: the AP Network at Wakefield, Arlington Tech, H-B Woodlawn, and the International Baccalaureate program at W-L. Learn more about the programs and how to apply: https://www.apsva.us/school-options/high-school-choices/high-school-countywide/
- Please note that many of these high school opportunities require copies of your child’s transcript. Students can request transcripts by filling out the form found at this link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd23FZXmQFLrih8aKbY5vdo1mOmJerLsN4YlIu-Kxqn0BqaPQ/viewform Please allow at least 2 days for transcripts to be processed.
- Some applications may also require teacher recommendations. Please allow staff at least 2 weeks to complete recommendations.
Arlington Tech is an APS High School focused on hands-on, project-based, and work-based learning experiences. Find more information on their website: https://careercenter.apsva.us/arlington-tech.
Interested students must apply in 8th grade. Important Dates:
- Student assembly @ Swanson –TBA. All 8th grade students will attend.
- Tour of Arlington Tech for all 8th Graders – TBA
- Arlington Tech Information Night for Prospective Parents *Parents of current students and Arlington Tech staff will share their experience of Arlington Tech and be available to answer any questions. This event will be in the commons at the Arlington Career Center.
- Dates & times: TBA
- Arlington Tech Lunch and Learn Session
- Dates & times: TBA
- Arlington Tech staff will be there to help you with your application and answer questions about the school and pizza will be provided by Arlington Tech.
- You must sign up with your Counselor before the session.
- Arlington Career Center Open House
- Date & time TBA – *Take the opportunity to visit the classrooms and talk with the instructors in Arlington Tech and explore our CTE course offerings.
International Baccalaureate (IB) Program at Washington-Lee
Find more information:
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST)
Find more information: