Good morning Swanson! Today is December 13th and these are today’s announcements!
- Congratulations to the Girls Basketball team for their hard fought and physical win over Gunston yesterday, 34-27! The Admirals came out fast in the first half and built a big lead through scoring from Olivia Stafford, Cate Talbot, Alice Irvine, and Sadie Akst. Halftime did not stop their momentum as Alice, Cate, Olivia, and Annie Ketchum combined for 13 points in the third quarter. Gunston come on strong in the final ten minutes, but important steals and clock management sealed the win for the Admirals. With the victory, Swanson earns at least a share of the County Championship. Come out on Tuesday for their final game at home against Dorothy Hamm to try and clinch the outright title!
- Swanson Spirit Week is December 16th – 20th! Show you Swanson Spirit by participating in the following days:
- Monday 12/16 – Ugly Sweater Day
- Tuesday 12/17 – Blackout Day – Wear Black as we take on Dorothy Hamm in our last home basketball game of the year!
- Wednesday 12/18 – Sports Jersey Day
- Thursday 12/19 – Pajama Day
- Friday 12/20 – Swanson/Holiday Spirit Day!
- Join us for a Swanson MS Chorus Dining Night on Monday the 16th from 5-9pm at @Chipotle Mexican Grill (Lee Heights Shops), 4520 Lee Highway. Mention OR show a paper OR smartphone version of the flyer linked on the front of the Swanson website and 33% of all in-store orders will be donated! Online orders are NOT eligible for the fundraiser.
- Holiday Caring Campaign: Sisterhood, LYLAS, GSA, and Boys II Men are sponsoring a Holiday Caring Campaign. We invite staff and Swanson families to donate a gift card for families in the Swanson community who are in need. Staff can choose a snowflake with a suggested store in any of the teacher lounges. Parents and students can stop by the main office to choose a snowflake or donate a gift card of your choosing. All donations can be dropped off in the main office to Ms. Zekan. The deadline is Tuesday, December 17!
- Arlington Public Schools students are invited to take part in the annual “Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Literary and Visual Arts Contest.” Entries are due by 5 p.m. Fri, Dec. 20. This year’s Literary and Visual Arts Contest is an opportunity for students to explore what Dr. King spoke about in his “I Have a Dream” speech and relate it to a dream for your community. For more information about the topic and the prompts for both literary and visual arts, head to https://www.apsva.us/mlk-contest
- Today show kindness by sharing a happy memory or inspiring thought with a friend or loved one!
Coming Up This Week!
Friday, December 13th – Winter Instrumental Music Concert – 7PM
Looking Forward to Next Week
Monday, December 16th – Spirit Week – Ugly Sweater Day, Swanson Choral Fundraiser at Chipotle!
Tuesday, December 17th – Spirit Week – Blackout!, Girls Basketball – Home v. D. Hamm
Wednesday, December 18th – Spirit Week – Sports Jersey Day
Thursday, December 19th – Spirit Week – Pajama Day
Friday, December 20th – Spirit Week – Swanson/Holiday Spirit Day, No After School Activities or Late Buses!