Good Morning Swanson! Today is September 23rd and it is an A Day! Here are your morning announcements:
- Girls Ultimate has been canceled for today due to field conditions. All those interested in playing should be ready on Monday for our first game at Dorothy Hamm! See Mr. Clements or Mr. Holland with questions!
- Tennis practice is cancelled for today. Practice resumes on Monday!
- Boys Soccer practice is TBD. Check with Mr. Holland during lunch for updates!
- MathCounts is a club for students interested in math problem solving. It is open to all grade levels and abilities; the only requirement is that you want to do math. If you are potentially interested (this is not a commitment), please join the MathCounts Canvas course (https://apsva.instructure.com/enroll/BHL73X) and take the quick survey posted on the home before September 29th. The first MathCounts practice will be on Thursday September 30th from 2:30 – 3:30 in room 222. It is a come when you can type of club, so don’t worry if you cannot make the first practice. Practice days may vary. If you have questions, please send Ms. Partridge an email or Canvas inbox message.
- The first organizational meeting of the Swanson Young Democrats will be held today after school in room 226, from 2:30 until 3:15. If you are interested in learning more about our political system and in finding ways to improve and contribute to our community, please come!
- Registration is now open for ACT II courses. ACT II courses are classes held outside of the regular school day. All classes begin the week of September 27. This school year, we are offering the following ACT II courses:
- Beginning Band: This introductory band course will help students in all grade levels learn the basics of reading music and correct playing technique. No experience necessary. Meeting dates: every Monday, 2:30-4:15 p.m.
- Core Plus: This course supports students in all grade levels with organization skills and homework completion. Meeting dates: Tuesdays or Thursdays, 2:30-3:30 pm.
Registration forms are available through a link on the Swanson homepage. Completed ACT II registration forms can be returned to the Counseling office by Friday, September 24. Spots are limited and students will be enrolled on a first-come first-served basis.
- Do you enjoy expressing yourself creatively? Let your imagination take flight! Swanson is ready to receive your entries for this year’s Reflections Program! There are six arts categories: dance choreography, film production, literature, music composition, photography or the visual arts. This year’s Reflections Program theme is “I Will Change the World By…” There is a large tri-fold poster board located in Swanson’s main office with further details about the program and a basket to collect your completed artistic submissions. There are also packets for student pick-up with the official rules, arts category guidelines, and entry forms available in the main office. We have several volunteer judges who can’t wait to see your creativity in response to this year’s theme! We are counting on you, Swanson Admirals, to make this year’s program a great success! Submissions are due to SWANSON’S MAIN OFFICE (see bin by the big display board!) by TUESDAY, OCTOBER 12. Have questions? Please contact Swanson’s Reflections Program Chair, Katrina Ivatts, email@example.com.
- 1st organizational meeting of French Club is TODAY right after school in SEAS 16. Subsequent meetings will be on the 3rd Thursday of the month. (we might make another adjustment in December and our final meeting will be in May).
Coming Up This Week
Thursday, September 23rd – A Day
Friday, September 24th – B Day